Tip o’ the hat to fellow blogger MichelleMB at Iconic Rock Talk Show who follows the Hall’s comings and goings pretty well and advised me that the vote had come down. Ladies and gentlemen, the 2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees along with my thoughts:
- Joan Baez – absolutely. I’m not her biggest fan but she’s such a seminal performer that I don’t see why she didn’t get in there years ago. Of course she’s not rock and roll but I think that narrow concept went out the window years ago.
- Electric Light Orchestra – Sure. I’m guessing that this is as much for Jeff Lynne’s continued body of work with, well, pretty much everybody as it is for ELO. As Randy Newman once said, “I love that ELO.” (I never knew if he was celebrating them or mocking them.)
- Journey. Well, ok. Never been a big fan of theirs but I do acknowledge their popularity and impact.
- Pearl Jam. No-brainer, no comment. Case closed.
- Tupac Shakur. Like Journey, he didn’t do much for me. But when he was alive I totally got how popular and influential he was.
- Yes. Yes! I’ve been lobbying for these guys for years. My favorite prog-rock band ever. Word is that the Hall is not necessarily prog-rock friendly so it’s a minor miracle they got in. So much great stuff. They were first eligible in something like 1994 and so it’s a damn shame they couldn’t get in when Chris Squire was alive. One of them will have to do like Stella McCartney did when her father got in. Wear a T-shirt that says, “About Fucking Time:”
Nile Rodgers got an award for “Musical Excellence.” (Compensation for not putting Chic in?)
So they went to six inductees. (Sorry, J.Geils. Your time will come.) I think it’s a good list, covers a lot of bases. Thoughts? Comments? Love letters? Brickbats?