Unless you’ve been living in a cave, you doubtless know that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees for 2018 have been announced. Directly from the site:
19 ARTISTS MAKE UP THE 2018 INDUCTION BALLOT.
“Of the 19, 9 are appearing on the ballot for the first time and 2 of those groups are newly eligible this year. Check out Nominee bios below (on their site) to learn more about each artist represented on this year’s ballot or cast your own vote in the Fan’s Vote.” (Voting open through 12/5/17.)
The list is below with notes on who I voted for and some other snarky comments:
- Bon Jovi – a band that does nothing for me but which has the aura of inevitability about them. I can’t see how they don’t get in this time or next. They were leading the vote last time I checked and they have an immense fan base.
- Kate Bush – she’s not already in?
- The Cars – I voted for these guys. An essential band that I think pretty much everybody liked.
- Depeche Mode – the beginning of why I would suck as a HOF voter. I know their name, maybe one or two songs and that’s about it.
- Dire Straits – I voted for them. Yes. Totally, completely, 100% deserving.
- Eurthymics – A good band that I did not vote for but will one day.
- J. Geils Band – I voted for them. Could there be two Boston band inducted in the same year? Sweet. (For the record, both the Cars and Geils were nominated last year and I said exactly the same thing.)
- Judas Priest- Like Bon Jovi, really not to my taste. I suppose they’ll get in one day.
- LL Cool J – See my note on Depeche Mode. I know he’s a rapper and he’s famous and influential. I cannot judge him as – try though I might – I cannot get into rap and so how the hell do I know?
- The MC5 – I know these guys are revered by some but I cannot name one song by them.
- The Meters -A fine New Orleans choice but sorry guys, have to wait.
- Moody Blues – I voted for them. They’ve been around since 1964 for Chrissakes. How the fuck long do they have to wait?
- Radiohead – Really wanted to vote for these guys but five’s the limit we can vote for. And I am in favor of bringing in bands that have been waiting a long time and some pioneers first.
- Rage Against the Machine – I wasn’t necessarily a big fan but they seem pretty influential.
- Rufus featuring Chaka Khan – I liked them but did they really do enough to merit inclusion? (Chaka Khan was on the ballot last year and I said I’d vote for her this year. Hypocrite.)
- Nina Simone – My favorite rock ‘n roller! I mean, she’s a great singer but I’m starting to think they should change the name of the Hall to the Popular Music Hall of Fame with subcategories. Seriously. That would end the whole “what is and is not rock and roll” argument.
- Sister Rosetta Tharpe – I voted for her. I have no idea whether she’ll get in but I always vote for at least one pioneer.
- Link Wray – another pioneer. Next time
- The Zombies – OMG, they formed in 1958! Worthy, but again, have to wait. Based on how long they’re waiting, maybe them over the Moodys? I dunno. I like the Moodys better. Here’s a cool song by them anyway: