The HOF is a fun place to visit and you should go if you get a chance. But I’m well aware that a lot of people think the whole idea of voting is a crock of shit. And it may well be. But that’s never stopped me from throwing in my opinion ‘coz it’s just fun.
Tip ‘o the hat to blogger Michelle MB for corroborating that these are actual inductees and not just candidates.
Here’s the list along with my thoughts and some random tunes.
- Tina Turner -Long overdue
- Carole King – Long overdue
- The Go-Go’s = Yeah, I think so. A pivotal band once again proving that women can rock.
- JAY-Z – I’m not much for rap so I can give a ‘yes’ based on the respect he gets and his longevity. Plus, like him I got (at least) 99 problems.
- Foo Fighters – Is Dave Grohl not one of THE guys in rock?
- Todd Rundgren – Overdue and I will always say ‘yes’ to a fellow Philly boy.
Early Influence Award: The Early Influence Award shall be given to a performing artist or group whose music and performance style have directly influenced and helped inspire and evolve rock & roll and music that has impacted youth culture
- Kraftwerk – OK. I don’t know if it’s me or the HOF but one of us doesn’t understand the term ‘early influence.’
- Charley Patton – This makes sense. Early blues guy.
- Gil Scott-Heron – Of all the choices on this list, Scott-Heron makes me the happiest. Again, not really an ‘early influence’ since his heyday was the 70’s. But, I’ll take it. I wrote about him a few years ago. You can check it out here.
Musical Excellence Award:
- LL Cool J – another rapper for whom I can say sure, based on his long-standing reputation.
- Billy Preston – another odd category but yeah, glad to see Billy get in. He had a long career but eventually became famous due to his association with the Beatles who met him when he was touring with Little Richard.
- Randy Rhoads – a great guitarist, very influential. That’s him on “Crazy Train.”
Ahmet Ertegun Award:
- Clarence Avant – I had to look him up. Wikipedia says he’s “an American music executive, entrepreneur, and film producer, who also goes by the name of ‘The Black Godfather.;”
I tried to find a 2021 playlist on Spotify. But the lame-os who created them either overstuffed it with their favorites or left people off altogether. If you’re gonna do a list of inductees, do ’em all or don’t fucking bother.